Friday, November 16, 2012

Brian White Commits to The Citadel


 November 8, 2012 - VirginiaPreps.com

John Marshall 6-foot-7 forward Brian White will be one of the better basketball players in the state of Virginia at the Group AAA level this winter. Less than a month before the start of his senior season, White decided to pull the trigger and give a verbal commitment to play his College Basketball in the Southern Conference at The Citadel, coached by Chuck Driesell, son of coaching legend Lefty Driesell.

White selected the Bulldogs over offers from Appalachian State, Austin Peay, Citadel, Duquesne, North Carolina A&T and UNC Greensboro.

"What made me choose The Citadel were the great coaches, who came to multiple of my practices. That showed they really wanted me and cared about me. The whole coaching staff wanted me from day one and said that I was their #1 guy. Also, the academics were like no other school I visited," White told VirginiaPreps.com.

"The coaches like that I am a multi-skilled guy who can post up, shoot the ball, handle it and most important a great teammate and defender. I see myself playing the '3' for my long-term career, but I also can step in and play the '4' if they need me to do that with my versatility."

Coachable with a great work ethic and underrated skill-set, White is a well-rounded forward with the ability to run the floor effectively, score close to or away from the basket and crashes the glass.
"I think Brian has a tremendous upside and hasn't even peaked yet. He's one of those kids because he's versatile and can play multiple positions will be really hard to guard. [They're] going to get a better person than a player and I really think he's a good player as well," noted John Marshall Head Basketball Coach Ty White, who also coached Brian in AAU for Team Loaded.

"He stretches the defense. Rebounding-wise, he's pretty good as well. He has the ability to play both inside and outside, which makes him hard to guard."

The Citadel, a military school located in Charleston, South Carolina, has been able to come up to Virginia and mine up a couple of players lately. Nansemond River guard Ashton Moore averaged 7.4 points per game last season for the Bulldogs as a true freshman. Miller School product Janeil Jenkins is about to embark on his freshman year there as well.

"It did help me a lot that a few guys from Virginia were on the team because I kept in contact with them and asked questions on their perspective of The Citadel," Brian admitted.
The Citadel finished 6-24 overall last year and 3-15 in conference play. Their last winning season came in 2008-09 when they finished 20-13 overall.

White spent the last two years playing at SportsQuest Academy and Matoaca. This will be his first and only season at John Marshall, and he'd like to accomplish some things while there before heading off to the next level.

Recently, the Justices won the Hampton Roads Fall League, edging Green Run in double-overtime. They figure to be one of the top contenders in the always competitive Central Region.

"My goals for my upcoming season are to first lead my High School team to a State Championship, which John Marshall hasn't done in years," White pointed out. "I'd also like to become State Player of the Year."



No comments:

Post a Comment